Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fixing a broken fin base

I have a single fin that needed a fin, and being the cheap bastard that I am I decided to fix this broken plastic fin.

I roughed up the base with 40 grit sandpaper to make sure the resin would stick after grinding little notches in the base to make sure I could sand the cloth flat.

I ground a chunk of suncure to fit where the fin was broken.

I glued the piece into place with laminating resin.

Then I wrapped a small piece of cloth and laminated that with a small brush.

I added a healthy hot coat of suncure instead of sanding resin because it has bits of cloth mixed with it and is stronger then resin alone.

I ground it all down to sit flush with the base.

Now I just need to drill a hole.

No comments: